While many know how vital the human heart is, its functions and hard work are often overlooked. Check out these amazing heart facts for some insight into just how incredible the human heart is, and how hard it works.
Did you know…?
- The average heart beats about 100,000 times in one day, 35 million times a year, and over 2.5 billion times in a lifetime.
- Every day, your heart propels the blood in your body about 12,000 miles in total. That’s like travelling between New York and Los Angeles over 4 times.
- Your heart pumps about 2,000 gallons of blood every day.
- There are nearly 75 trillion cells of the body that receive blood from the heart
- Because the heart has its own electrical impulse, it can actually—with a sufficient supply of oxygen—continue beating outside of the body.
- The cumulative length of your body’s blood vessels is over 60,000 miles long.
- In an average lifetime, a heart pumps more than 50,000,000 gallons of blood.
For more heart facts and information on how to lead a heart healthy life, browse our site for more helpful articles from MegaRed.